YCK Alumni Questionnaire
Please email this info to email@example.com
We’re happy to add you to our new website for all to see and learn your accomplishments!
1. Name: Michael A Tomaszewsky
2. Sport and Position Played: Setter, Volleyball
3. Years Played at YCK:Mid to late 1980’s
4. Why did you Join YCK? It was an opportunity to play organized volleyball after the high school season. YCK was also a place for us to go as high school kids to play pool and ping pong.
5. Who were your coaches? Mr. Ihor P
6. Any Championships? I do not recall. Perhaps in GEVA? And a few tournaments.. But it’s been way too long to remember!
7. Did you move on from the club and play at a higher level? Yes, played Division I volleyball at Rutgers University
8. Where are you now? Westchester County, NY
9. What are you up to? About 225 pounds…. ;-)
10. Who would you like to see interviewed for this section? Markian Sonevytsky, Orest Szul, Ivan Kaczur, Mark Iwaskiw, John Zielonka, Nick Kosciolek,
11. Were you friends with your teammates outside of YCK ( St. George / CYM / Plast / HS / College)? Yes.
Pro Club teams in Germany Holland, Pro Club teams in Canada & USA, and USA National Team
Where are you now? NY
Name: Ricardo da Silva
Sport and Position Played: Soccer, Defender and midfielder
Years Played at YCK: 1979-1990
Why did you Join YCK? Steve Kovalenko invited me.
Who were your coaches? Steve Kovalenko, Ozzie Verbstky
Any Championships? League champions 1984; League Cup 1983 or 84 (not sure)
Most memorable moments on the field: Scoring a goal in the first play-off of the league championship against College Point. Winning the above mentioned championships with the club.
Most memorable moments off of the field: The Christmas party when the team, afterwards went to a club on the lower east side. Mike Czarny was a riot. Barbeque at Steve’s house in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.
Did you move on from the club and play at a higher level? No.
Where are you now? Teacher and coach at the United Nations International School in Manhattan, since 1984. Replaced Popovich, another Ukrainian coach.
What are you up to? Still teaching and coaching, now with my own youth club, the NY International Soccer Club.
Who would you like to see interviewed for this section? Feliks Fuchsman, Steve Kovalenko
Were you friends with your teammates outside of YCK ( St. George / CYM / Plast / HS / College)? Friends with Steve Kovalenko John Neuhof, Feliks Fuchsman.
1. Name: Markian Sonevytsky
2. Sport and position played: Volleyball- Setter/Defense
3. Years played at YCK: ~5
4. Why did you join YCK? I started to play volleyball at an early age and continued to play through high school. My university didn't have a volleyball team so I joined YCK. YCK offered me an opportunity to play competitive volleyball while further developing my skill-set.
5. Who were your coaches? We had several coaches including Ihor Sochan, Ihor Pryshlak, Carl Pierre and Tony.
6. Any championships? We won a few GEVA tournaments.
7. Most memorable moments on the field: Having several defensive and offensive moments resulting in spectacular rallies. When we clicked as a team, we were hard to beat.
8. Most memorable moments off the field: Hanging out at YCK after volleyball practice and shooting the breeze.
9. Did you move on from the club and play at a higher level? I moved into local volleyball circuit playing and when I moved to NJ, I continued to play up until 2004 after I had lower back surgery.
10. Where are you now? I am a physical therapist working in a private office treating patients including professional, college and high school athletes as well as post-surgical and special needs populations.
11. What are you up to? Being a father of two beautiful girls is a privilege, but also takes up a majority of my time. I live in NJ, have two dogs and a cat. I enjoy yard work, hiking, walking and the occasional bike ride, but I really enjoy wood working and light construction projects.
12. Who would you like to see interviewed for this section? Orest Szul, John Zielonka, Mark Iwaskiw, Teddy Kowalyk, Coach Pryshlak, Coach Sochan, Coach Carl Pierre.
First Professional Game I was chosen to take the penalty kick because the Coach was familiar with my capabilities.
Name: Bohdan “Bobby” Showty
Sport and Position Played: Soccer- center fullback
Years Played at YCK: 25
Why did you Join YCK? Love of the game
Who were your coaches? Sobenko, Kowalenko (Val’s dad) Andrejko , Steve Kovalenko
Any Championships? 1985 Doctor Manning Cup
Most memorable moments on the field: Playing at Yankee Stadium. Winning that trophy in”85
Most memorable moments off of the field: Having kids
Where are you now? Staten Island
What are you up to? Retired
The Ukrainian Sports Club (The NY Ukrainians) is an amateur soccer club based in NYC, that competes all over the tri-state area. This year, Ukrainian Sports Club has expanded its formidable force to include a youth league for soccer and volleyball which commenced in the fall of 2019. It's overarching goal is to provide athletics as a vehicle to humanities and to share the things that we love.